6.12.2013

dad's baked ribs

I feel I've let you down by not providing a Father's Day Gift Guide.
After all, I've made one for Mother's Day, Valentine's Day (x2) and several different ones for the holidays.
So I apologize, dear friends, for not having a Gift Guide for the Dad.
Instead, here's an idea - how about you make him these insanely easy and mouthwatering ribs?

I found this recipe long ago when we first moved to New York City and wanted to make ribs in our teeny tiny apartment that definitely didn't have a deck or an outdoor grill.
I don't think I'll ever make ribs anywhere besides the oven ever again.
The sauce on these is so insanely flavorful and bakes into the meat.
And the meat? Oh goodness it just falls off the bone.

Make these for your pops this Sunday and tell him how much you love him.
I promise he'll like this supper better than any tie or money clip.

Dad's Baked Ribs
Adapted from:  Nurbel on Food.com
Serves:  4 - 6

Ingredients:

  • 4 lbs. pork back ribs - (Note:I couldn't find "pork back" ribs.  I've used both pork spareribs and pork baby back ribs. Both work perfectly.  You'll get fewer ribs with he pork spareribs (they're meatier), so if you're feeding a crowd, go with the smaller baby back ribs.)
  • 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 garlic cloves, grated
  • 1/2 Cup ketchup
  • 1/3 Cup Chili Sauce (the bottle looks like this)
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 onion, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 1 Tablespoon celery seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 dashes Frank hot sauce
  • 4 lemon slices

Directions:

  1. Cut ribs into serving size pieces - about three ribs per person, depending on how large your ribs are.
  2. Place ribs in a large pan (I use my dutch oven) and fill with water just so the ribs are covered.
  3. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour until ribs are nearly tender.
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  5. The last ten minutes of simmer time, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan and add grated garlic. Cook 3 minutes until fragrant.  
  6. Add rest of ingredients to sauce pan and bring to a boil.
  7. Drain ribs and place in a shallow baking pan - I use my glass 9" X 13" pan.
  8. Pour boiling sauce over the ribs.  Brush it into all crevices.
  9. Bake at 350 F for 20 - 30 minutes, basting often with the sauce.
  10. Serve with lots and lots of napkins and your favorite BBQ sides.
(sorry, not the prettiest photo. There's no glamorous way to photograph hunks of meat)
Enjoy!
Happy early Father's Day!
xoxo,
K

{images by me}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito