I told you yesterday that I did a bunch of cooking to help us with our resolution to eat better in 2013.
Here's a recipe to start your year (and your morning) the right way.

I'm a big fan of eggs in the morning.
I'm a big fan of eggs in the morning.
Partly because I much prefer savory breakfast foods over sweet.
And partly because eggs pack so much protein that I'm completely full until about 1pm when I finally get around to eating lunch.
I've tried many variations of these egg cups and came up this recipe based off a few others and what we had in the fridge on Sunday.
Try any variety of meat and veggie combos.
You really can't go wrong here.
It's more of a method than a recipe.
Pop one in the microwave for 20 seconds (or eat it cold if you're Al. Gross!)
and you're good to go.
Healthy Egg Cups
Makes 12 egg cups
Ingredients:
- 6 egg whites
- 6 whole eggs
- 1/4 C. skim milk
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 slices low sodium bacon, cooked (Place on rack on top of sheet pan and bake for 25 - 30 min. at 400 degrees) and crumbled
- 1/2 C. low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 t. hot sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl (use one with a pouring spout if you have it), beat eggs, egg whites, milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine pepper, crumbled bacon, and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Spoon egg, bacon, and cheese mixture into muffin tin cups.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over top. I started by filling a little more than half way tot he top and then went back and evened out until I'd used all my egg mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes until eggs are settled. They'll puff up a bit whiel cooking, but will come back down once cooled.
- Cool completely and store in a airtight container in the fridge.
- Microwave for 20-30 seconds per cup to reheat.
Nutrition: (per one egg cup)
- Calories: 85
- Carbs: 1 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Protein: 8 g
xoxo,
K
{photos by me}

No comments
Post a Comment