I need your help, oh knowledgeable readers.
See, I want a digital SLR camera.
I have for awhile now.
But I always get talked out of it.
"Wait till you have kids!" / "Just get a regular digital camera" / "They're so expensive!"
I've heard (and thought) it all.
But, the thing is.
I still really want one.
For a few reasons.
1.) It will VASTLY improve the photos I take of my food (and Lily).
Because I know y'all are like "ok these iPhone photos are baddddd".
And if I had good photos, then maybe someone on pinterest would see that spectacular food pic and would re-pin my recipe and then the next person would come to the blog and be all "omg look at that yummy pasta and that super-cute dog" and then they would return every day.
(Because that's how you all got here too, right?)
(Because that's how you all got here too, right?)
2.) We plan to continue to travel a lot over the next few years (and for the rest of our lives).
And I like to take photos when we travel.
And sometimes iPhones just don't cut it.
Especially when you lose your iPhone within the first three hours of arriving in Spain...
3.) Photos are a big part of our design aesthetic.
I love seeing photos on our gallery wall.
A nice black and white photo that means something and triggers a memory is just awesome.
4.) We don't currently have any digital camera.
It might have been eaten up by Central Park's Great Lawn a few years ago.
I feel like if we're going to get one, let's get a good one and make it last.
I have finally convinced Al that these four points are valid and warrant some research
in the hopes that, before we head to France this summer, we can make a purchase.
So, dear readers,
TELL ME EVERYTHING.
{{what is the best camera for a beginner?}}
My only previous experience is a photography class I took in 7th grade that the assistant basketball coach taught. - i.e I remember/learned nothing.
{{do I need additional parts/lenses/kits?}}
{{know of any good online (or in NYC) classes?}}
Preferably on the not-so-expensive side.
(ah the irony of a blurry photo of me with a camera)
Share in the comments below your suggestions, feedback, and genius camera knowledge.
Appreciate your help!
xoxo,
K
{image source + my photo}
Trevor got me a DSLR for Christmas & your points are so valid that they don't do it justice. He researched with his IT/techy folk & went with a Canon Rebel T3i (great for beginners but not one you'll need to upgrade anytime soon) & for a lens we got EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. It's a high quality lens for every use - especially if you don't want to be changing lenses all the time. Let me know if you have more questions!
ReplyDeleteno recommendations on cameras (i'm in the bad iphone category too). but: coach stevanov!
ReplyDeleteI have the Canon EOS Rebel T3 and I love it! Its easy to use, especially for a camera newbie.The picture quality is so great. I loved using it when I still blogging and its great for food photography! I got it on Amazon for a good deal.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J3Y9U6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
You can see some of the photos I shot with the camera on my blog
http://themoodiefoodie.com/
Good luck in your search!
-Rachel
I have a Canon T3i and it was so worth it! I have the kit lens (the one that comes with the camera), a 50mm prime, and a 70-200mm zoom lens. I probably use the kit lens most just because it's easiest, the zoom lens for far away shots (great for vacationing), and the fixed lens for real photoshoots because it takes great quality photos. I don't think you need a class to learn it. Just read some tutorials to get started, actually using the camera every day will be the best practice. Also, download Lightroom immediately and start learning. Knowing how to edit photos will help you know what can and can't be corrected after the picture is taken. Oh, and I got mine at Best Buy on 18 month financing so that it doesn't seem like such a massive purchase. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteInvest in lenses more so than the camera body. I would start with a fixed lens. They are annoying at first because you want to be able to zoom but they force you to move around and be more creative and your pictures get better.
ReplyDeleteA good (and less expensive) one for food pics would be a 50mm f/2.5 macro. It will be nice and sharp and your backgrounds will be nice and blurry. Something good for other every day images would be a 35mm f/2.0. It won't be as close up as the 50mm so you would be able to take a picture of a few people standing together without having to step way back. You can get a cheap zoom lens that will do the same thing but they won't have quite the depth of field (background blurriness) that the fixed lenses have.
For a camera body--they are getting so good and changing so often, I imagine you would be happy with most of the new ones out (i.e. Canon 60d, Rebel etc.) as long as you have a lens that has the capabilities you are looking for.
... and for the meantime, before your DSLR arrives! http://unabashedlyprep.com/site/entry/tips-for-better-iphone-photographs/
ReplyDeleteI agree with you and the group, a DSLR is a great investment - it's easy to learn and self teach too and many people teach private classes. Check Groupon for a good deal. The best way to learn is to just practice. Plus when in doubt you can always put it on auto. My babe is also a Canon Rebel but I have the EOS T3. It has a flash built in (which I hardly use) and does HD video. The best lens hands down (at least for portraits and stills - like food and Lilly) is a 50 mm. There is no zoom and it does high contrast very detailed photos. It's relatively inexpensive (around $100) but would stick with the starter lens while you are learning as switching out lenses can be a pain (especially while traveling). I am looking forward to getting another lens too if anyone has any recommendations!
ReplyDeletePS, examples of photos taken with said Cannon Rebel found here: http://texas-sadie.blogspot.com/search/label/photos
ReplyDeleteOh and Vimeo has online tutorials too https://vimeo.com/videoschool/archive/dslr
ReplyDelete