5.07.2013

lemon ricotta pancakes

Still not quite sure what to do for mom for Mother's Day?
First, refer to my gift guide for ideas.
And secondly, how about making her a snazzy breakfast?

Here's a recipe that is just as easy as pancake mix, but the result is oh-so-much-better.
I was inspired a few weeks ago when I had a big ol carton of ricotta sitting in the fridge 
(for some reason Fresh Direct only sells huge tubs of the stuff).
I quickly pulled together these pancakes that were so incredibly decadent  they were almost as good as the ones I constantly rave about from Maialino.  

The ricotta makes these slightly tangy and a little gooey-er than your average pancake.
Top them with fresh fruit, maple syrup, or my favorite, blueberry syrup (with a touch of lemon zest).  
Trust me on this one.
Your mom will be VERY happy to start her Mother's Day with these.

LEMON RICOTTA PANCAKES
 Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
Makes:  12 pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups pancake mix (I used Aunt Jemima)
  • 1 1/3 cups of water
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • zest of one lemon
  • 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (you could use lower-fat ricotta here, but it just wouldn't be the same)
  • 1 Tablespoon melted butter

Directions:
  1. Combine pancake mix with water, lemon juice, vanilla. Stir until just moistened. Don't over mix.
  2. Gently fold in the ricotta and lemon zest.
  3. Heat a griddle (or cast iron skillet if you're like me and have no place to store a griddle) over medium heat.
  4. Brush griddle/skillet with melted butter.
  5. Working in batches, spoon 1/4 cup of batter on to skillet for each pancake.  Once the top starts to bubble, flip it (about three minutes per side).
  6. Serve with the syrup of your choice, although I think blueberry syrup with a little bit of lemon zest in it. Yum!

Nutrition: (per pancake without syrup)
  • Calories:  102
  • Carbs:   17
  • Fat:  5
  • Protein:  4
Enjoy!
xoxo,
K

{photos by me}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito