I have an issue with the month of March as an adult living in New York.
When I was younger March meant Spring Break and the onset of warm weather.
Now it means that it's still dark at 5 o'clock, it's still cold as heck, and I'm just plain sick of winter.
(Thank goodness for March Madness or I might keel over).
When I get fed up with the seemingly never-ending dark and cold, I crave "homestyle" cooking.
You know, meat and potatoes (or noodles in this case).
Something comforting and familiar.
That's why I decided to make this beef stroganoff recipe.
Best part: it's all done in the slow cooker.
So when I come home fussy an tired, it's right there waiting for me.
Make this to perk up your cold, long and dark March days.
Slow Cooker Stroganoff
Recipe adapted from: Heathers Bytes
Serves: 6
Ingredients:
- 2 lb. beef stew meat (I buy the pre-cubed variety)
- 2 (10.75 oz.) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Half of an onion, grated
- 1 T. worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14 oz.) can beef consomme (or beef broth)
- salt and pepper
- 4 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 C. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
Directions:
- In slow cooker, combine meat, soup, grated onion (I grate it right into the pot), Worcestershire sauce, beef consomme, and salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Half an hour before serving, stir in cream cheese and Greek yogurt. Stir every 10 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles or rice.
Nutrition: (per serving, just stroganoff, no noodles or rice)
- Calories: 394
- Carbs: 9g
- Fat: 19g
- Protein: 44g
Easy. Comforting. And so good you'll want to lick the plate clean.
Enjoy!
xoxo,
K
{photos by me}
No comments
Post a Comment