Ever since I read about the carbonara pizza offered on the secret off-menu at Maialino, I knew I wanted to recreate it at home.
I'm a big fan of white pizza (pizza without red sauce) to begin with, a concept that I didn't know existed until I moved to New York.
The version I made is quite simple.
I took premade pizza dough, brushed it with olive oil, sprinkled it with garlic, cheese and bacon, and baked it.
The final few minutes I cracked a couple eggs on top which gives you the most runny and delicious sauce when you cut into the pizza.
Top it with some arugula and you've got yourself a whole meal on one slice of 'za.
And it is SO so so good.
I can't even put into words how good it is.
Make this for your Wine Night tonight!
Carbonara Pizza
Recipe by Katie Rose, The Rose Record
Serves: 6
Wine Pairing: Sangiovese (we drank it with Bartenura Rossa Toscana 2011)
Ingredients:
- Uncooked pizza dough - homemade or store bought (I use Fresh Direct's brand - 2 balls combined)
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil, divided (+ a little more for drizzling on the arugula)
- corn meal (just a light dusting for the pan)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 to 1 t. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 c. grated fontina cheese
- 1/4 c. grated part skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 - 4 eggs (however many you prefer / however many fit on your pizza)
- 1 1/2 C. arugula
- lemon juice
- 1/4 C. reduced fat Parmesan cheese
Directions:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet. Sprinkle with lightly with cornmeal. This is to keep the crust from sticking and I love the texture the cornmeal gives the crust.
- Roll out your pizza dough into a large rectangle that will fit your pan. I roll it and then stretch it with my fingers a bit and then wait a few minutes and do it once again. This will help it from shrinking.
- Place the dough on your pan and lightly tap the surface with your fingertips This gives it a few crannies for the oil and cheese to settle into.
- Brush the remaining olive oil onto the crust.
- Top with crumbled bacon, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Finish by sprinkling the fontina and mozzarella over the top.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until cheeses just start to melt.
- Take pizza out of oven and top with the eggs. I crack my eggs first into a ramekin and then gently pour on top of the pizza.
- Bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes until cheese is bubbly and eggs are to the doneness you prefer. (I like mine still runny for the saucy component I was talking about earlier.)
- While the pizza finishes cooking, toss arugula in a small bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.
- Top pizza slices with the arugula salad. (NOTE: you could totally make this without the arugula on top, but I love the way the egg mixes in with it and the heat of the pizza slightly wilts the bitter arugula. Paired with the salty fontina I think putting the salad on top really elevates this to another level.)
Nutrition: (per serving, using 4 eggs for pizza)
- Calories: 306
- Carbs: 37g
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 15g
My mouth is watering again.
Enjoy!
xoxo,
K
{photos by me}
No comments
Post a Comment