Wow. 28 years old today. Sometimes I feel older than that. But most days I feel like I should still be 25. It sounds so cliche, but now I get it when people mutter "where has the time gone?". 28 seems nice though. 28 seems wise, settled, fun. I think I'll get used to 28 just fine.
I've learned a thing or two in my 28 years years. Here are 28 things I know to be true:
- Dogs > humans
- I've said it before, and Ill say it again: Hallelujah for the cleaning lady.
- Friends can be family.
- Early to bed early to rise. (i.e. sleep is important.)
- It's okay to argue as long as the end goal is a resolution.
- Seasonal decor, while seemingly a waste of time and space, does make a difference.
- Communication, communication, communication.
- In the morning: hot water with a squeeze of half a lemon. It's a must.
- Listen to what is being said, instead of thinking about what you are going to say next.
- Celebrate the little things.
- The only trick to good skin is to wash your face before bed.
- In a confrontation, avoid the words 'never' and 'always'. Hyperbolizing about a fault or mistake won't get you anywhere.
- Travel is more than seeing new places. It opens your mind and your heart and leaves you forever changed.
- Shake Shack makes the best burger.
- Avoid constantly wanting the next step. Focus on living in the now.
- Know what time of day your mind is the sharpest and tackle the more difficult tasks at that time.
- Admit when you're wrong.
- No matter how comfortable you get living away from your family, you'll always miss them just the same.
- When overwhelmed, break things down in to parts and do one step at a time.
- Food is so good. So is portion control.
- Don't compare your life to others. Make your own life.
- Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do for longer than you'd like. And that is okay.
- Drink. More. Water.
- Every day: Be a good partner.
- Know when to say no. But don't say no just because what is asked of you seems difficult.
- There is no relationship quite like that of sisters.
- Marriage is the most important thing. Sometimes it comes easy and sometimes it is work. Sometimes it is the focus and other times it is in the background. But it is always the most important thing.
- Find time each day to do something that fulfills you.
Here's to my 28th year. May it be my best year yet.