5.21.2014

morning must-have


I briefly mentioned before that I start each morning the same way every single day. Whether it's a weekday or a weekend, it's the same routine (after I snuggle my pup for an extra five minutes). While I'm brushing my teeth, I fill a mug with hot tap water, put it in the microwave for two minutes (conveniently the same amount of time for my Sonicare Toothbrush) and then squeeze a huge chunk of lemon into it (usually about half a lemon, unless they're the massive lemon's I've been getting lately, then a quarter is fine). I sip the water while I get ready, making sure to drink it all.

I can't remember where I first read about hot water with lemon in the morning, but I see it more and more in health magazines, blog posts, and on TV.  It took me awhile to kick my 'must-have-coffee' thing in the morning, but after a week I barely missed it. (Don't get me wrong, I still drink coffee, just after my lemon water ☺.) 

The advantages of hot lemon water are too great to ignore. I noticed a difference early on and that's why this trick is now a must-have part of my mornings.  I feel less lethargic, bloated, and run down now that I have my hot water with lemon each morning. That's probably due to all the wonderful things it does for the body.

Benefits of hot water* with lemon:
  • Flushes toxins out of the body
  • Helps the body's digestive system eliminate waste (you know what I mean here...)
  • Good for colon health (see above ^^)
  • Hydrates the body
  • Strengthens the liver
  • Good source of vitamin C, calcium, potassium, citric acid, phosphorus, and magnesium
  • Helps maintain immune system by protecting the body from many types of infections
  • Replenishes body salts, especially after a workout.
  • Freshens breath
  • Helps reduce wrinkles and blemishes
  • Curbs hunger cravings
  • Helps with inflammation in joints by removing uric acid
  • Helps reduce anxiety and depression
  • Assists in curing and preventing urinary tract infections
  • Low in calories
  • Eases symptoms and duration of the common cold (and the phlegm that comes with it)
*It's best to have hot/warm water to get the jump start effect for your body in the morning, but room temp water I'm sure is better than nothing.


I've also read that you should have another mug of hot lemon water before bed. I'm less regimented about that, but certainly try to do it when I can. If you can't do that, you should at least drink one whole glass of water before bed to keep you hydrated (and if you're me, then you have a natural alarm clock at 6am when you have to go to the restroom!)

Anyone else swear by hot lemon water in the mornings? Don't do it? Try it out for a week and see if you feel different. It's too easy and has too many benefits to not do it!

-Katie-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito