7.02.2014

manhattan restaurant guide // week 2

A quick update to those just joining, the kind folks at OpenTable asked me to write about a few of our favorite restaurants in the city and I decided to turn it into a six week series!  

Last week we focused on our current neighborhood(s) - Chelsea / Flatiron / Gramercy.  This week we're talking about our old neighborhood - the Upper West Side (and a few Morning Side Heights spots too). The Upper West Side is a real gem in Manhattan. It feels a little quieter, a little more friendly, and very communal. We loved living up there and go back frequently, especially to visit some of our favorite restaurants. You know me, I'll travel multiple subway lines for food. :)  

Here are some of our favorite restaurants in the Upper West Side.  To make reservations, click on over to the OpenTable New York City Restaurants page.



::: Where to Eat in the Upper West Side :::


Arte Cafe ::: One of our favorite brunch spots. Sit outside of this darling brownstone and sip a mimosa while you eat your eggs. Also great for dinner (try their well priced prix fix menu).

Central Park BoatHouse ::: You'll feel like your in a movie when lunching at this classic New York Spot. A beautiful space with great food (I like to go for brunch or lunch). (And yes, I realize this is technically on the East side, but just work with me here. It's smack in  the middle of Central Park, so it's fair game.)

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que ::: We lived a block south from here our first two years in the city. There used to be a huge Fairway grocery store across the street and the only way I could get Al to come grocery shopping with me was if we went to Dino BBQ before or after. The closest thing to KC BBQ you'll find in New York.

Gabriela's ::: Spectacular Mexican and Tex-Mex food. Bonus points for these little private nooks off the main dining room that are great for big group dinners.

Jean Georges ::: So we haven't made it to this highly acclaimed spot yet, but you can bet its on my "in my lifetime" list. Fine French food at it's best.

Kitchenette ::: Best pancakes in the city. And I'm not even a pancake person. Cozy little spot that's buzzing with people. A real neighborhood spot. And did I mention the pancakes?

Mandarin Oriental Lobby Lounge ::: You don't have to be a hotel guest to enjoy the spectacular views from this 34th floor chic spot. Go for afternoon tea and take in the city views and Central Park. It's unbeatable.

The Smith ::: I've never ordered something from here that I didn't love. Several locations throughout the city, but the UWS one is a great spot for a late dinner or drink after a performance at Lincoln Center.

Sushi of Gari ::: The UWS outpost of one of the most popular and renowned sushi chefs in Manhattan.  No matter where we live, I'll make my way back to this spot for fresh, creative, and extremely crave-worthy sushi.

Tavern on the Green ::: We haven't been to this reopened iconic spot, but we went a few years ago pre-renovations. I've heard decent reviews of the relaunch, and you can't beat that beautiful building on the edge of Central Park.


Did I miss any of your favorite restaurants in the Upper West Side? Share in the comments below. Stay tuned to see which neighborhood I'll cover next. 

^^ We're starting to cover some ground! 

Check out the previous posts in this series:

Thanks to OpenTable for reaching out. The OpenTable New York City Restaurants page is always my first stop when planning our dining.



Powered By OpenTable: Restaurant Reservations. Right this way.

P.S. And you can bet that I'll continue my hand-traced, crayon colored maps for this series. How else would I do it? ☺
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito