2.25.2014

whole wheat banana nut oatmeal muffins


Nine times out of ten, when at a coffee shop or patisserie, I reach for a buttery croissant or doughy bagel over a muffin. It's just that I usually prefer my carbs' flavor profile to be more buttery and less sweet.  That's why I like baking my own muffins at home.  I can include the ingredients I want, make them smaller, and most importantly, make them not be equivalent of a cupcake. (Don't get me wrong, cupcakes are awesome, I just don't think eating them for breakfast is a good idea.)


My latest baking exploit has been to take a breakfast I eat probably three times a week - oatmeal with bananas, nuts, and brown sugar - and turn it into a muffin.  Easier to eat on the go, and still packs the same oomph to keep my stomach quiet until lunch. (Anyone else victim of the loud stomach growl in the middle of a meeting? Embarrassing.)


These little guys turned out deliciously.  They're smaller than your average coffee shop muffin (for good reason - those things have like 1000 calories ), full of big chunks of bananas and nuts, and have a good bite to them from the oats.  I want to call them 'oat-ey', but I'm certain that is not a real word. Make a batch of these on a Sunday and you'll have breakfast and snacks ready for your entire week. 

Whole Wheat Banana Nut Oatmeal Muffins

Yields:  18 muffins

Dry Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ cups old fashioned oats (NOT instant oatmeal)
  • ½ cup whole wheat flour (you can substitute regular flour if you wish)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda 
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (I did a heaping ½ teaspoon. More cinnamon is always better, I think.)
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts and pecans)

Wet Ingredients:
  • ¾ cup skim milk with 1 teaspoon lemon juice added to it.  Stir it until it bubbles a little.
  • 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 2 large)
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ unsweetened applesauce
  • tablespoons agave
  • 2 egg whites
  • tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.  Lightly spray regular sized muffin tin with cooking spray.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients using a fork to incorporate together.  Add nuts at the end and make sure to coat them in the flour mixture (that prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins).
  3. In a separate large bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
  4. Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients.  With a spatula, stir the batter until just mixed (over-mixing causes dense muffins. Ew).
  5. Spoon batter into muffin tins until just shy of the top of the tin. I ended up using my cookie dough scoop for ease.  I did two scoops to each muffin mold.
  6. Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.

Nutrition: (per muffin, using skim milk and whole wheat flour)
  • Calories:  120
  • Carbs:  20
  • Fat:  4
  • Protein:  3
Enjoy!
xoxo,
K

P.S.  More muffins!  Blueberry.  Apple Cinnamon.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito