10.22.2013

whole wheat pumpkin chocolate chip cookies


Fall puts me in the mood to bake.  I think it's partly because it's finally cool enough for me to turn on our oven and not overheat the entire apartment.  But mostly, I think it's because I love the flavors of fall - pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger.  They're cozy flavors.  Perfect along side a cup of tea or cider.  

^^ how about that tiny sheet of parchment?  It was the end of the roll.  Always the case when I'm baking, it seems.
With fall in full-force in the city, I knew I'd be doing some baking this past weekend.  Before I left work on Friday, I polled my colleagues on what to bake.  It was a unanimous decision - pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.  I had a recipe in mind I wanted to use, but I wanted to try them with a few twists of my own.  The first being the substitution of whole wheat flour.  The whole wheat gives the cookies a nice nice nutty, earthiness that goes well with the pumpkin and spices.  Bonus: it's better for you too (a.k.a. an excuse to eat a cookie - to get your whole grains!).  I was worried it would make them too dry, but that wasn't an issue at all.  These cookies are so moist and chewy, they're almost like little cakes, so much so that I really want to frost some (um, cream cheese frosting on top? oh heck yes). 

Right before I added the dry ingredients to the wet, I decided to throw in some ground ginger. Who doesn't love ginger in cookies?  It gives them a nice zip that cuts through the richness and the whole wheatness (making up words now. Wheatness?).  The ginger took these over the top.  It's a sublte spice, but essential.  I think next time I'll even add more ginger and cinnamon.  

These really did turn out to be the perfect fall cookie.  This recipe makes a ton! Share the fall love in the form of a cookie.  I promise your office/doorman/neighbor/dog walker/family will love them.  And they'll like you a whole lot for sharing.

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from here.
Yields:  5 doze cookies


Wet Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • ¾ cup canola oil
  • ¼ cup molasses
  • 1 15 oz. can pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla

 Dry Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 12oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (except chocolate chips).
  2. In a separate bowl of a mixer (or you can use a hand mixer), cream together wet ingredients, adding one egg in at a time.
  3. Slowly mix dry ingredients in to the wet until just incorporated.  Do not over-mix.
  4. Fold in chocolate chips.
  5. Using a cookie scoop, drop them onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  6. Flatten slightly with your fingertips or the back of a fork.
  7. Sprinkle with a little sugar on top (optional, but adds a nice crunch and makes them pretty).
  8. Bake at 400 degrees for ten minutes.

Nutrition: (per one cookie)
  • Calories:  111
  • Carbs:  17
  • Fat:  5
  • Protein:  1
Enjoy!
xoxo,
K
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito