1.15.2013

super simple crock pot potato soup

I instagrammed our dinner last night mostly to make the point that crock pots make Mondays really easy.
I got an overwhelming response to post the recipe for the potato soup in my photo.
I wasn't going to put it on here (unclear why; I guess I just have a lot teed up for you guys), 
but you asked for it so here it is. 

I've been making this version for the past year. 
(unsure of original recipe source, I think it was maybe my Taste of Home cookbook?)
Only recently using frozen hashbrowns for ease.
No chopping, no peeling, no prep.  
Just dump into crock pot and be done with it.
Will change your Monday for the better, I'm certain. 

Super Simple Crock Pot Potato Soup
Serves:  6

Ingredients:
  • 32oz. frozen hashbrowns (or you could use the froze cubed potatoes, but alas, in NYC you only get one style of frozen potatoes at the grocery store)
  • 8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
  • 4 C. low sodium chicken stock
  • Half an onion, grated (use a box grater or a rasp and grate right into the crock pot)
  • Salt and pepper - go heavy here.  That's a lot of potatoes to season!
Directions:
  1. Put ingredients in crock pot.
  2. Set to low for six hours.
  3. After six hours, give it a good stir.  If it feels too lumpy, you can quickly pulse it a few times with a hand blender (I've said it before and I'll say it again - best kitchen tool ever).
  4. Taste and season again with salt and pepper as needed.
  5. Top with any toppings of your choice.  We did turkey bacon, reduced fat Monterrey jack cheese, and hot sauce!

Nutrition: (per serving)
  • Calories:  260
  • Carbs:  28
  • Fat:  11
  • Protein:  9

That's it!  
Could it be any easier?
Enjoy!

xoxo, 
K

P.S.  If you want to be really sneaky, throw in some frozen broccoli during the last half hour of cooking.  They'll never know it's in there. :) 

UPDATE:  A reader emailed me to say that she used the 1/3 less fat onion and chive cream cheese and omitted the grated onions. Even easier!! (Thanks for the tip, Jackie!)

{photo by me}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito