10.16.2014

stuffed pepper soup


It has been rainy here the past few days and well...dark. The dreariness can get to you real quickly, but there's always a silver lining. And in the case of dark, dreary days, the silver lining is big bowls of hearty, hot soup. 

I love soup both for its comforting ability and its simple cook methods. It really can't be simpler - cook veggies/meat. Add liquid. Simmer. Blend if required. You really can't mess up soup. I also love it for the leftovers - its one of the only leftovers I'll eat because it just gets better each day. 

I have a lot of go to soup recipes, but on Sunday I was mentally going through my repertoire and felt like I wanted something new. Something meaty and flavorful, but not quite a chili. I thought about some dishes I cook regularly and remembered that Al loves my stuffed peppers. Seemed easy enough to turn in to a soup and it was! The peppers become less sharp in flavor and are just soft enough. The hot sausage adds a bit of a kick, and the rice makes the soup filling enough to serve all on its own. It is almost like a gumbo - chunky and full of flavor. I ended up liking it better than stuffed peppers!

This is a great one to whip up on an Sunday and eat from all week. It makes a LOT of soup. If you're cooking for one or two you might want to halve it, although we seemed to have no problem eating all of it throughout the week.

Stuffed Pepper Soup
Serves:  12 (I told you it made a lot!) 


Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
  • 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef (you could easily substitute ground turkey here)
  • 3 links hot Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 1 - 14.5oz. can diced tomatoes ( I used the kind with green chilies in them because we like a little heat)
  • 1 - 28oz. can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (not Dijon. You want the regular bright yellow stuff)
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • splash of apple cider vinegar
  • 16 oz. beef stock
  • 2 - 14 oz. cans fat free low sodium beef broth
  • 4 cups cooked white rice (Originally I was going to use only 2 cups, but we tend to like less brothy soups so I added more rice to make it chunkier. I suck at rice so I cheated and used two packets of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice)


Directions:
  1. In a large stock pot (I started out in my dutch oven and quickly realized it wasn't going to be large enough), heat olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. Once hot, add in the diced peppers and onions. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Saute until tender.
  2. Once the peppers and onions start to soften, add in your beef and sausage and the minced garlic. Stir to combine and continue sauteing until meat is browned and peppers and onions are soft.
  3. Add in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and ketchup. Stir to combine and allow to cook one minute so the flavors melt a little.
  4. Add in stock, broth, and vinegar. Season again with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for at minimum 30 minutes. (I made mine early in the afternoon and I think it simmered for about an hour total.)
  5. Add cooked rice (make sure you cook it - or in my case microwave it - first!!) and simmer another 15 - 20 minutes. 
  6. Eat leftovers for lunch and dinner for next several days. ☺


Nutrition: (per serving)
  • Calories:  261
  • Carbs:  26g
  • Fat:  11g
  • Protein:  15g


Enjoy!






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito