4.24.2014

love letters


Do you ever write love letters? Real letters. Not love emails, or love texts, or love sentiments on a sticky note, but real, old fashioned love letters. I don't. Not really. I try to really write good-quality, heart-felt content in cards to my loved ones, but those are usually related to a holiday or birthday. Is the old tradition of love letters gone? 

I ask because I was so moved by the below video from Humans of New York. The video shows a 100 year old woman remembering her deceased husband. My favorite parts are when she reads letters he wrote to her long ago. Some of which she's memorized. Just watch. 




How about those letters? 

"The ships come and the ships go, but I stay here with my thoughts of you wondering how soon I'll be once more with my little angel."

"And the nights grow cold without you and the world is filled with the anguish of my loneliness and the stars join me in sorrow while I long without weary to hold you once more in my arms. To embrace you. And kiss you. And love you. All my love."

And I love what he told her before he passed away:

"Take the love you have for me and spread it around. In love spread around, there beauty is found."

What beautiful, beautiful words. Hardly anybody writes like that anymore. What a nice sentiment to take a moment to really think about your feelings and write them down, rather than immediately blasting them into the atmosphere like so many of us do now. These days, our feelings and thoughts and actions are so instantaneous. 'I feel, I tweet. I move on to the next emotion.' 

I'm going to make a conscious effort to slow down, pause, reflect, and write something to my loved ones of real value. Something that when I'm not around, they'll want to pull out and reread for the emotion and beauty it conveys. 

What do you think? 
Do you write love letters? 
Have you ever received a letter that you saved and reread?

xo,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito