7.02.2013

grandma's baked beans

What are your plans for the 4th?  Might you be going to a barbecue?  Might you need you take a dish?  Stop all your Googling and Pinteresting and make some darn beans.  That's right - beans.  Not just any beans.  Baked beans slow cooked with bacon and brown sugar just like my grandma used to make.

This my grandma's recipe.  I've never really written it down;   I've just watched my grandma, my mom, and my Aunt Kathy make this dish time and again for family gatherings and holidays.  Our family love these so much, we have them with our Thanksgiving dinner!

These are the perfect side dish for your burgers, dogs, ribs or other summertime grill-ables.  And they're just about as easy as opening those cans of pre-made baked beans - but the outcome is WAY better.  They're thicker than normal baked beans, which I prefer.  They're sweet and a little sour and I would eat them by the bowlful.  No better way to celebrate America than with some beans!

(Apologies in advance for these pictures - there's no way to make beans look pretty.)

Grandma's Baked Beans
Serves:  8 - 10. Can be easily doubled, tripled etc. for a crowd.

Here's the recipe exactly as I wrote it when my grandma dictated it to me about 6 years ago.  Quantities are in parenthesis of what I usually use, but you definitely can eyeball it on this one.  (Family members reading this - let me know if she told you something different for if you use different quantities!)

Ingredients:
  • Cans of pork and beans (I usually 3 cans)
  • Lots of brown sugar (I'd say about 1/2 a cup, plus I sprinkle a little extra on the top before baking)
  • Lots of ketchup (1/2  cup)
  • Onion (1 whole onion, diced)
  • Splash of apple cider vinegar (1/2 tablespoon or more - I like the bit that the vingar gives so I usually do closer to a full tablespoon.)
  • Bacon for the top (6 - 8 slices. enough to cover the top of the dish)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, combine beans, brown sugar, ketchup, onion, vinegar. Stir to combine.
  3. Pour beans into a lightly greased casserole dish (I'm not sure you have to grease the pan but I'm always terrified of things sticking).
  4. Lay bacon strips across top of beans.
  5. Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.
My mouth is watering just telling you all about these.
Try them out - they'll be come your new bbq staple for sure.

Enjoy!

xoxo,
K

{images by me}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito