3.06.2013

slow cooker stroganoff

I have an issue with the month of March as an adult living in New York.
When I was younger March meant Spring Break and the onset of warm weather.
Now it means that it's still dark at 5 o'clock, it's still cold as heck, and I'm just plain sick of winter.
(Thank goodness for March Madness or I might keel over). 

When I get fed up with the seemingly never-ending dark and cold, I crave "homestyle" cooking.
You know, meat and potatoes (or noodles in this case).
Something comforting and familiar.

That's why I decided to make this beef stroganoff recipe.
Best part: it's all done in the slow cooker.
So when I come home fussy an tired, it's right there waiting for me.

Make this to perk up your cold, long and dark March days.

Slow Cooker Stroganoff 
Recipe adapted from:  Heathers Bytes
Serves:  6

Ingredients:
  • 2 lb. beef stew meat (I buy the pre-cubed variety)
  • 2 (10.75 oz.) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • Half of an onion, grated
  • 1 T. worcestershire sauce
  • 1 (14 oz.) can beef consomme (or beef broth)
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1/2 C. non-fat plain Greek yogurt

Directions:
  1. In slow cooker, combine meat, soup, grated onion (I grate it right into the pot), Worcestershire sauce, beef consomme, and salt and pepper.
  2. Cook on low for 6 hours.
  3. Half an hour before serving, stir in cream cheese and Greek yogurt. Stir every 10 minutes.
  4. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
  5. Serve over cooked egg noodles or rice.

Nutrition: (per serving, just stroganoff, no noodles or rice)
  • Calories:  394
  • Carbs:  9g
  • Fat:  19g
  • Protein:  44g

Easy. Comforting. And so good you'll want to lick the plate clean.
Enjoy!
xoxo,
K

{photos by me}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito