2.05.2013

crock pot beef and broccoli

Do you get in a rut on Tuesdays? 
I do. 
On Mondays I'm all "Alright, week I'm gonna take you down with my good attitude and cute outfit!"
And then by Tuesday and I'm all "I'm le tired. Here's my wet hair and don't ask me to do anything please."

Because I'm so prone to the Tuesday Rut, 
I often plan to use my crock pot, so that, at the very least, I don't have to think about cooking dinner. 

Here's one of our new go-to meals. 
I pinned it forever ago and finally made it twice last month!
So easy and much better than stress eating MSG-laden Chinese take out.
Microwave one of those 90 second rice pouches and you've got yourself a dinner.

Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli
Adapted from myfridgefood.com
Serves:  4

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. beef strips (I buy the pre-cut beef "fajita" strips from Fresh Direct, or cut your own beef roast into strips)
  • 1 C. low sodium beef stock (The stock really adds flavor. If you can't find it, use beef broth)
  • 1/2 C. low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/3 C. dark brown sugar
  • 1 T. sesame oil
  • 1 to 1 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes (depends on how spicy you want it)
  • 3 garlic cloves, grated (or finely minced. I just grated with a rasp right into the pot)
  • 2 T. cornstarch
  • 2 T. sauce from pot after it's cooked
  • 2 C. frozen broccoli
  • Salt and pepper

Directions:
  1. Put beef strips in crock pot
  2. In a small bowl, combine stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and red pepper flakes.  Pour over beef.
  3. Grate garlic cloves into crock pot.
  4. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, covered.
  5. After cooking all day, combine sauce from the pot with the cornstarch in a small cup and stir to combine. Add back into the crock pot.
  6. Pour in frozen broccoli and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
  7. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes on high. (I recommend using this 30 minutes to either a. unload dishwasher, b. fold laundry, or c. play with dog.)
  8. Serve over rice (and top with Sriracha if you're like me and like some additional spice).

Nutrition: (per serving, not including rice or Sriracha)
  • Calories:  308
  • Carbs:  25 g
  • Fat:  10 g
  • Protein:  30 g

Now THAT is how you handle a Tuesday.  
Enjoy!
xoxo,
K

{photos by me}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito