2.12.2013

air dry waves

Do you ever have one of those start and stop get ready sessions?
You know where you start to get ready, and then take a three hour break mid-way?
That was me on Saturday. 

It all started when we woke up with plans to venture out into the blizzard and get some brunch.
So I jumped in the shower and started to get ready.
Only to have Al need to get on a conference call for work.
So rather than blow dry my hair and sit around for a few hours, I decided to air dry it.

I've used this technique a few times in the past, but this time it turned out pretty great so I had to share.

Imagine Al's face when I came out of the bathroom with my hair styled like this:

I told him not to worry and a few hours later we were ready to leave and and my hair looked like this:

Here's how I did it: 
  1. Start with damp hair (you don't want it soaking wet or it will take forever to dry completely).
  2. Spritz hair from roots to tips with salt spray. I use Bumble and Bumble's Surf Spray.
  3. Take hair from the front crown of your head (I pull back about the top third) and twist it tightly until it forms a bun. Secure with a clip (I use these).
  4. Divide remaining hair into two sections. One on the left, one on the right.
  5. Twist each of those sections (twisting AWAY from your face) into a tight bun and secure with the clip. Note:  The Buns don't have to look pretty. Keeping them tight is more important. It's also okay if the ends are a little straight for you to be able to clip them secure. I actually prefer the ends sticking out a little from the bun.
  6.  Sit around for a few hours. The wetter your hair was to start will determine how long to air dry.  Don't take them out until your hair is 90% dry. Note: if you remove them when your hair is still too wet the waves won't set and you'll have wasted hours of your time.
  7. *Optional* Hold a blow dryer six inches away form each bun and hover over each one for a minute to really set them.
  8. Remove clips and fluff the waves with your fingers. I didn't even really run my fingers through it. Just kind of took the ends in the palms of my and and scrunched upwards a bit. Whatever you do,  do not brush.
  9. *Optional* Touch up any awkward pieces with a curling iron. I just touched up the pieces around my face.
  10. Lightly spritz all over with hair spray.
Pretty easy huh?
Keep in mind too that I have stick straight hair. No texture or wave and this was the result.
If you have slightly wavy hair I can only imagine it would work even better.
I'm going to try doing this overnight. 
I think if I put a shower cap over the clipped up buns it will allow me to sleep without messing them up too terribly. 
I'll let you know how it turns out. 

Try this for yourself and let me know how it goes!
xoxo,
K

{awkward iphone photos courtesy of moi}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito