9.06.2012

wine night: "skillet" lasagna

I'm good at reading and following directions. 
I think that's partly what makes me good in the kitchen.
I even read recipes all the way through before I start cooking.
But sometimes, every now and then, something goes wrong and I have to make a change on the fly.
(Al taught me that in football this is called "calling an audible").

So I set out to make this recipe for skillet lasagna.  
Looked easy, fresh, and I love anything with heaps of ricotta on top.
But about mid-way through I had to call an audible and bake it in a casserole pan, rather than the skillet.  
I don't have non-stick pans.
I had visions of scraping burnt pasta off the bottom of my nice Calphalon pan.
Whether you bake it in the skillet or dump it in a cooking dish, it's still tasty.
Make it for your Wine Night tonight!

"Skillet" Lasagna
Adapted from Pink Parsley

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cans crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 - 1 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
  • 3/4 t. Italian seasoning
  • 1 lb. lean ground turkey (you could use beef if you wanted)
  • 10 (curly-edged) lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch pieces (don't get the oven ready kind).
  • 3/4 C. part-skim shredded mozzarella
  • 1/2 C. reduced fat grated Parmesan
  • 3/4 C. part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 3 T. chopped fresh basil
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet (use nonstick if you have it) over medium heat.
  2. Add onion and 1/2 t. salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 - 7 minutes.
  3. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, Italian season and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  4. Add ground turkey and cook while breaking up the meat about 5 minutes, until it's no longer pink.
  5. Scatter pasta in skillet and pour tomatoes over the top. Stir (really scrape the bottom to make sure pasta doesn't stick) and increase heat to medium high and cover.
  6. Cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring often, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
  7. Meanwhile, preheat broiler.
  8. Remove skillet from heat.  Stir in half of the mozzarella and Parmesan and 1/4 C of ricotta.  
  9. (This is when you can transfer to a sprayed casserole dish).  Dot with the remaining ricotta over top and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan. Transfer to oven and broil until cheese melts and is starting to brown, about 3 -5 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven, sprinkle with basil, and serve.
Nutrition:
Serves:  6
Calories:  474
Carbs:  55g
Fat:  15g
Protein:  35
Enjoy!
-K

{all photos by me}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito