9.25.2012

three meat chili

As I mentioned here, we had friends over to watch the Emmy's on Sunday night.  
I whipped up some Chili for the crew and it was devoured.
Invented it as I went and several people asked for my "recipe".
Here it is, kids.  

Note:  this makes A LOT of chili.  
So much that I couldn't even make it in my Le Creuset Dutch Oven. 
Even if you're not serving ten people at once, I would still go ahead and make the full batch.  
Leftover Chili only gets better and you can do so much with it!  
Chili Mac! Frito Pie! Chili Dogs! Huevos Rancheros!
Whatever you do, you should make this for a chilly (pun intended) night.

Three Meat Chili

Source:  Katie Rose for The Rose Record
Serves:  12

Ingredients
  • 2 T. extra virgin olive oil - divided
  • 1 lb. lean ground sirloin
  • 1 lb. ground pork
  • 1 lb. ground veal
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 T. chili seasoning (I buy the premixed spice blend)
  • 3 T. tomato paste
  • 1 (28 oz.) can whole, peeled, fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 (7 oz.) can chipotle in adobo. Chop the chilies and add liquid (use more or less than 1/2 a can to your spicy preference)
  • 3 (15.5 oz) cans low sodium red kidney beans - drained and rinsed.
  • 2 1/2 C. water
  • 2 T. vinegar
  • 2 T. brown sugar
  • salt
  • pepper

Directions
  1. Heat large stock pot over medium heat.  Add 1 T. olive oil.  When oil is hot, add meat, onions, and garlic.  Break meat up with a wooden spoon and cook until just pink, about 5 minutes.
  2. Drain meat and onion mixture (you could skip this step, but the pork and veal really let off a lot of grease).  Return to pan. 
  3. Add chili seasoning and stir until well incorporated.  Cook one minute until fragrant.
  4. Stir in tomato paste and cook one more minute until mixture is dark red.
  5. Add in canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans (remember to drain and rinse!), chipotle in adobo, water, vinegar, and brown sugar.  Heat over medium-high to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent scorching or anything sticking to bottom of pan.  While you stir, break up the whole tomatoes with your wooden spoon.  Taste and season with salt and pepper (I find I need a lot of salt when I use canned tomatoes due to their acidity.  Don't freak out if you need a lot of salt).
  6. Simmer on medium-low for thirty minutes to one hour.
  7. Serve with any combination of shredded cheese, onions, Fritoes, oyster crackers, cilantro, sour cream, corn bread - whatever you want!
Stay tuned tomorrow for my three bean vegetarian chili recipe!
xoxo,
K

{photos by me and my Emmy Party guests}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito