9.18.2012

homemade cinnamon rolls

As I showed you here, my step-mom, Melanie's homemade cinnamon rolls are pretty amazing.  They are so gooey and cinnamon-y and they make your house smell amazing.

As she says, "it's not really a recipe, more of a method".  Follow the method and you'll be sooooooo happy.   These are so much better than those cinnamon rolls in tube that you buy and bake.  Give 'em a try!

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Source:  My step-mom, Melanie!

note:  The more I make these, the more I realize that I just cannot get all that filling in the rolls like Melanie does.  I've reduced some of the ingredients noted in bold for how I've been making them recently. They'r easier to roll up for me that way.

Ingredients:
  • 2 tubes refrigerator crescent roll dough (or you can use the buttery refrigerator biscuits)  (The new seamless crescent roll dough is awesome - I try to use those whenever I can find them.)
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (3/4 a stick - about 6 T)
  • 3/4 C. granulated sugar (1/2 Cup)
  • 3/4 C. brown sugar (1/2 Cup)
  • 1/4 C. cinnamon
  • 1 C. + 1 t. milk (you can use heavy cream, 1/2 and 1/2, evaporated milk, whole or skim - whatever richness you desire) (1/2 Cup milk for the before baking portion, I stil use 1 teaspoon for the glaze)
  • 1 T. + 1/2 t. vanilla
  • 1 C. powdered sugar

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Unroll crescent roll (or biscuit) dough.  Seal seems and press together to form one large rectangle of dough.  Roll out flattish about 1/3 inch thick.
  3. Take softened butter and smear generously over dough (I use my fingers).
  4. Mix sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.  Spread evenly over buttered dough (Melanie notes that you could add chopped nuts, raisins, or dates at this step). 
  5. Roll dough up along the long side.  Seal seam.  Cut into 1 1/2 inch think pieces (we measured with my thumb - from knuckle to end of thumb).
  6. Place in deep glass or ceramic baking dish (I used ceramic 10.5" x 7.25" pan) with cut side facing up.  Place them evenly in the pan.  Give them a little extra space, as they will expand when baking.
  7. Mix 1 C. of milk with 1 T. vanilla.  Drizzle evenly over cinnamon rolls. 
  8. Bake at 350 until nicely browned, about 20 - 25 minutes.  Check center for done-ness, can take a bit longer with the milk.  
  9. While rolls bake, wisk together in a small bowl powdered sugar with 1/2 t. vanilla and 1 t. milk.  Drizzle icing over rolls when they are done baking. 
You won't be able to have just one of these bad boys.
Enjoy!

xoxo,
K

{all photos by me}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito