8.30.2012

wine night: vodka sauce risotto with fresh mozzarella

You guys.
This might be the best recipe I've ever dreamed up.
Even better than those enchiladas y'all seemed to like.
Here's how this invention came about...

We've been trying to eat through our pantry this summer and clear out some stuff before it expires.  
I had half a bag of arborio rice left, so I knew I was going to make risotto for wine night.
I also had half a hunk of smoked mozzarella left from those lamb burgers.

But I was feeling...saucy.  
Literally, I wanted pasta with sauce.
I didn't want standard Parmesan risotto or saffron risotto.
After a long internet search, I found this gem of recipe

Except...and here's the genius part (if you ask me), instead of using tomato sauce, I thought, 
"OMG Katie, use VODKA SAUCE!".  
Vodka sauce is my favorite pasta sauce (and not because I love vodka, because I do) because it's just the right balance of tomato and creamy.

So here it is folks, a Katie Creation that will knock your face off.
Cheesy, creamy, tomato-y, and only 400 calories per serving.

Vodka Sauce Risotto with Fresh Mozzarella
Adapted from: Last Night's Dinner
Serves:  4

Ingredients:
  • 1 C. arborio rice
  • 3/4 C. onion, diced (half an onion)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • kosher salt
  • 1 T. unsalted butter
  • 1/2 C. jarred vodka sauce (Rao's is my favorite, so darn expensive though. Newman's is good too)
  • 1 C. white wine (I used sauvignon blanc)
  • 2 C. - low sodium chicken stock
  • 1/2 C. water (maybe...you may or may not need this.)
  • 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, cubed (I used smoked mozzarella and it was fantastic, but regular is perfect too)
  • 1/2 C. reduced fat Parmesan cheese

Directions:
  1. Melt butter into olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
  2. Add onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt.  Cook a few minutes until softened.
  3. Add rice and stir well to cat with the butter mixture.  Cook a few minutes until the rice starts to toast.
  4. Add wine and stir, allowing to cook until most of the wine has been absorbed.
  5. Stir in vodka sauce and 1/2 C. chicken stock.  Stir and allow to cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
  6. Continue adding the remaining stock 1/2 C. at a time, stirring often, and allowing liquid to cook into rice before adding next 1/2 C.  You may need more or less stock than recipe outlines.  If you use all you chicken stock, add some water. (NOTE: Be patient here.  It might look like nothing is happening and then all of the sudden it turns from rice to risotto.  Give it time.)
  7. Once risotto is creamy and al dente, turn off heat and fold in mozzarella and Parmesan.
  8. Serve immediately in shallow bowls.

Nutrition:
Serves:  4
Calories:  400
Carbs:  49g
Fat:  14g
Protein:  16g
Make this for your Wine Night tonight. 
You'll be very happy you did.

Enjoy!
K

{all photos by me}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©2014 Rose Record
Designed by Kelly Brito